Tuesday, June 19, 2012



I videotaped a memorial service on Friday, June 2. I worked with Doherty Funeral Home and, out of respect for the family, I will not mention names.

I know some people might think that videotaping a viewing and memorial service is a little ghoulish, however, if it aids in allowing closure for the family there is absolutely nothing wrong in doing it. In this situation several children could not attend due to distance and it was the only way that they could feel as though they were there.

I was extremely conscientious of the surroundings and what I was filming for the family. I was very unobtrusive, confining myself to the back of the room, and was able to capture footage of people entering the area and being greeted. It was a good shot and I was glad to be part of it. I do about 10 memorial services each year and, when your really think about it, a memorial service is a service for the attendants and a true celebration of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment